Adhaar Card is mandatory for every Indian citizen nowadays than ever. It is the most authentic way to prove your identity across India.
It is a 12- digit number which is generated by UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) and is unique for every individual. Total Aadhaar number generated by UIDAI is 123,12,96,734 and counting till 2018.
Guide to Apply for Aadhaar Card
Aadhaar Application can be done Online and Offline.
To apply for Aadhaar card you can do it online but still, you need to visit UIDAI designated enrollment center to complete Aadhaar biometric and to provide a fresh photo. But it is a bit hassle free.
If you are unable to use the online system you can visit Aadhaar enrollment center for the complete process.
Follow the below points to get an aadhaar card hassle free
- Fill the Aadhaar form that you can get here Aadhaar Form
- Find any enrollment center near you – UIDAI Aadhaar Enrollment Center
- Now, you can book an appointment online to complete the rest of the process here https://appointments.uidai.gov.in/easearch.aspx. Or if the link is not working then find it here https://uidai.gov.in/
- Make sure, during visit keep the identity proof with you like PAN Card, Ration Card, Voter ID etc.
- Submit all the required stuff at the enrollment center.
- Fresh photograph, Eye Retina – IRIS, and both hands finger-prints will be taken and this is for your biometric identity reasons.
- After a successful application process, you will be handed over a 14- digit acknowledgment slip. This slip is useful until you get the original UIDAI aadhaar card.
You are done!
Download UIDAI Aadhaar Card Online
Once your application is approved and is updated in UIDAI database then you can use acknowledgment slip to download soft-copy called Eaadhaar and is as useful as the original adhaar card.
Follow the below steps and you can do it by yourself
- Go to UIDAI Official site UIDAI https://uidai.gov.in/
- Find “Download Aadhaar” in tabs
- Now you will get two options either you can download by acknowledgment slip (14-digits) that you got from enrollment center after successful application process explained above or if you already have an Aadhaar number (12-digits) then you can select it.
- Next, enter your name, phone number and area pin code.
- Once done, click on OTP (one-time password)
- You will receive a pin on your registered mobile (never disclose it to anyone), enter the pin and click on “validate”.
- An Eaadhaar PDF will be downloaded on your computer.
- It will be password protected – Next, I will explain how to get that password.
- Print this PDF and also save it in your computer
Aadhaar Password & How to Print?
EAadhaar PDF you will download will be password protected for security reasons but you can get that easily by following instructions;
Aadhaar password is a combination of your name and your year of birth for example
Name: Prem Singh
Year Birth: 1990
Then the password will be PREM1990
Name: Jay Raju
Birth Year: 2000
Then the password will be JAYR2000
But what if your name is very short like only 3 alphabets then use only what you have there for example
Birth Year: 1985
Then the password will be JIA1985
Hope, you understand how to do it.
Now open this pdf and see if all the information provided is all correct. If not then you need to apply for Aadhaar card corrections that is free for if you apply within 96 hours. You can apply online and I will explain this process soon or you can comment below.
If you don’t have access to a printer to print your aadhaar card then save this file in a flash and go to any printing shop and don’t let that guy save your file anywhere. Go to a trusted one.
Adhaar Card Corrections Online or Offline
If you find your information wrong on your Adhaar card then you can do this correction offline by just visiting the UIDAI enrollment center nearby or just do an online as explained below.
Normally, anyone has access to change name, date of birth, sex, sim card number, or email ID if required.
Note: Only 4 updates are allowed by UIDAI so be careful always while filling out Aadhaar form any time.
Steps to Update/Corrections in Aadhaar
Step – 1: Visit UIDAI official portal https://www.uidai.gov.in/
Step – 2: Click at “Aadhaar Update” and click at “Address Update Request (Online)” if you want to change it.
Step – 3: Enter 12-digit Adhaar number
Step – 4: Next, click on send “OTP” or “Enter TOTP” of you already have it generated
Step – 5: You will receive OTP at your UIDAI registered mobile only – Enter it when received
Step – 6: Click “Login” and you are in your Official UIDAI Aadhaar Account
Step – 7: Now, enter your correct address and hit “Submit Update Request”
Step – 8: If you want to Modify the address then hit “Modify”
Step – 9: Once done. Click “Proceed”
Step – 10: Then, select the supporting document like “Passport” if you have or any with valid address proof.
Step – 11: Upload that scanned the document and “Submit”
Step – 12: Now, BPO service provider will review your request and if all is OK he/she will forward it to UIDAI and you will be provided acknowledgment slip. Now you can track your request with this number.
Uses of an Adhaar Card
Are there any benefits to have an adhaar card? The answer is YES. There are a lot of benefits they can be availed only if you have an Aadhaar Card.
Here are a few;
- Identification: It can save you from any difficulty where you have to provide your identity as an Indian citizen but make sure it is only valid in India not across the border or overseas. This not like passport but it will help you get an Indian passport easily in 10 days.
- LPD Gas Subsidy & Connection: You can avail gas subsidies and also can get the gas connection if you have an Aadhaar easily.
- Banking Help: It is very easy to get a bank account with the help of aadhaar as it provides instant verifications required for bank procedures. Most of the banks are not entertaining their new customers without having an adhaar identity.
- Voter Card ID: Adhaar helps to get register for your Voter ID.
- Phone Connection: Any telecom company will not entertain you anymore if you don’t have aadhaar identity.
- Jan Dhan Yojana : You can avail Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) account just by providing adhaar card
- Digital Locker: You can access Digital Locker that is where you can save your personal data on government server free of cost just by signing up through aadhaar number.
- Monthly Pension & Provident Fund: You can avail these services through UIDAI aadhaar number.
- SEBI : You can invest in the stock market just by providing aadhaar as identity proof at the Securities and Exchange Board of India.
- Driving license: Your digital identity will help you to avail different license like driving.
There are other many benefits that organization can give you if you have an aadhaar as they know you are the real person to deal with like you can book more air tickets than others, entry to the gym, trains, etc. has become really easy after this UIDAI digital identification system
FAQs on Aadhaar Card
I have divided this into three different sections like FAQ’s about Aadhaar Application FAQ’s for Application Procedure – NRI’s & OIC’s and FAQ’s about Aadhaar Application
FAQ’s about Aadhaar Card
Question # 1. What’s is on Aadhaar Correction Form?
Answers: Aadhaar form is the same for application as well as updating procedures. It includes basic information of any individual that will help him to identify if required later on.
- Date of Birth
- Pre-enrolment ID
- NPR number
- Complete Address
- E-mail ID
- Mobile Number/ SIM Card
- Who is the guardian like Father, Mother, Guardian, Husband or Wife?
- Document details used for proof (identity proof, address proof and date of birth proof)
- Signature or Thumb-impression
Question #2. What is Aadhaar URN?
Answer: Whenever you will apply for any Aadhaar update you will get an update number from where you can track if it updated or not.
Question # 3. What is UIDAI VID?
Answer: You can generate a virtual identity that is valid for 24 hours. After this, it will get expired. You can send this via SMS to demanding entity in that way you need not to disclose you aadhaar number to any third party. You can generate as many times you need it.
Question #4. How many days did it require to get UIDAI Card?
Answer: 90 days after successful application submission.
Question # 5. If UIDAI Card is not received then what to do?
Answer: Check the aadhaar status online at UIDAI official site. If dispatched then wait a little more months as it may take longer than 90 days in some cases. You can request again if dispatched but not received.
Question # 6. How much time is needed to get the original card after applying?
Answers: It takes around 90 days or more but you can use print and use as explained above.
Question # 7. What is the major difference between eaadhaar and original Adhaar Card?
Answers: Both serves the same eaadhaar is just a soft or ecopy of aadhaar card. Eaadhaar is valid as UIDAI aadhaar card.
Question # 8. What is the fee for Adhaar enrolment?
Answer: No fee for new or even duplicate aadhaar as per UIDAI statement. If you visit the enrollment center for any correction you need to pay 25 INR per visit. But you can do the online correction for free of cost.
Question # 9. What is the fee of Aadhaar Correction at the Enrollment Center?
Answer: You will be charged 25 INR on every visit but you can do all free online at UIDAI website.
FAQ’s about Aadhaar Card
Question # 1. What is an EAadhaar?
Answer: Eaadhaar is just a soft-copy of an aadhaar card. It can be downloaded from the UIDAI official website and the process is explained above.
Question # 2. What is on Aadhaar Card?
Answer: It mainly contains personal information of the resident like
- Adhaar Number
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Photograph of the Adhaar Holder
Question # 3. What is a duplicate Aadhaar card?
Answer: If you have lost your original UIDAI card then you can apply for the duplicate card.
Question # 4. How I will get UIDAI card after successful application at UIDAI enrollment center?
Answer: No worries, UIDAI will send it to your provided address.
Question # 5. How to avoid Aadhaar Scams?
Answer: Never disclose OTP (One Time Password) or TOTP (Time Based one Time Password) to anyone. Mostly fake callers demand it. Also, lock your bio at UIDAI portal.
Question # 6. Can I link my Bank Account with Aadhaar and How I know if linked already?
Answer: Yes, Go to UIDAI website and check the linkage. You will get all the required information there easily.
FAQ’s for Application Procedure – NRI’s & OIC’s
Question # 1. I am an OIC/NRI how can I get it?
Answer: Unless you have spent 183 days of a particular year you are applying for you are not eligible to get it. Overseas Citizens of India – OIC or Non-Resident Indians – NRI can complete their process at Indian consulate one they are eligible. No need to come back to India to visit only a UIDAI enrollment center.
Question # 2. Being a US citizen may I apply for Aadhaar card?
Answer: Yes, but make sure Aadhaar is just of proof of identity not of citizenship. You can get after spending 183 days in India of applying year.
Question # 3. Can I get Aadhaar card only by Online procedure?
Answer: A big NO. You have to visit the enrollment center for your fresh photo, IRIS, and fingerprints.
Question # 4. Do I need Aadhaar to file my Income Tax Return?
Answer: Yes, without this you can proceed nowadays.